Tuesday 24 September 2013

Book review: The Wish list - Jane Costello

I read, a lot. It's something I really enjoy doing and to be able to share my thoughts on a book with other people is also something I would love to be able to do. Sadly my book club folded at the end of last year and I still haven't had a chance to find a new one. So I thought i'd bring my love of literature to my blog with some book reviews. So, first up is The Wish List by Jane Costello. I literally finished 22 minutes ago so I'm writing with it fresh in my mind. Here we go!

  

Summary: 

Emma is approaching her 30th birthday when she finds a copy of a wish list she and her friends made when they were 15. Upon reflection, she realises that she hasn't managed to fulfil a single one of the 12 items on the list. With her birthday only a few months away, she resolves to tick each of the items off one by one with the goal of completing her list before she farewells her twenties. 

My thoughts: 

I'm a massive fan of chick lit and I have a particular soft spot for Author Sophie Kinsella. With a recommendation written right on the front cover, it was only fitting that I take the book home and add it to my pile. From page 1 it had me hooked, it wasn't the kind of book that you couldn't put down, but it was witty and funny and I was determined to finish it.

This isn't a book about fairy tale romance, it's both relatable and down to earth. I laughed and I cried, I really felt like I was peering into the life of a real person. 

Emma is hilariously sarcastic and clumsy, her friends are the kind of people you would want to hang around in real life and even though things don't always go right, this group of girls largely remain positive and supportive of each other. Each girl has their own sub-story and I found myself wishing I could give them advice. 

The only thing I didn't like about this book was the fact that it was quite cookie cutter as far as Chick lit goes. All books of this genre tend to work off the same template, so it wasn't exactly unpredictable. That being said, it was still enjoyable and while I wouldn't put it in my pile of books to read again, I would certainly recommend it.



If you would like to purchase this book, you can buy it online here.

No comments:

Post a Comment