Monday 8 July 2013

When did ignorance become a point of view?

Scott Adams & I could probably have some wonderful conversations about life.

I find myself constantly trying to learn more about people and they way they think. I think it's really important to try and be diplomatic when it comes to issues that are important to the people in my life.

I'm not saying that I don't make my opinions known, because those that know me also know that I have no issue with that at all. I just think that there is both a respectful and a disrespectful way of going about it.

This morning I had a very one sided discussion with a "friend". About 10 minutes in it became apparent that she'd decided to adopt ignorance as a view point. There is nothing more frustrating then people who passionately argue a point without having any real knowledge of it.

The only thing I hate more then ignorance is peoples inability to respect each other. Why do discussions always end with 1 person berating the other for not sharing the same view point? Passion is a wonderful thing, but I can't understand why people use it to make others feel bad. Sometimes there is no right or wrong, Sometimes it's just 2 ways of seeing the same thing. I don't understand whats so wrong with that.

 

This particular Dilbert cartoon pretty much shows exactly how I felt about about my discussion this morning. No matter what I said, it was all met with an inability to see past her point of view. I could have said anything I wanted and it still wouldn't have made a difference.

This is all my opinion and of course I'm aware that people may disagree. There are always going to be two extremes and a struggle to find an acceptable shade of grey.

No comments:

Post a Comment